Love's Body, Dancing in Time Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Duchamp, L. Timmel » Love's Body, Dancing in Time « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 - 09:23 pm:   

My first collection, Love's Body, Dancing in Time, will soon be available by mail from Aqueduct Press <http://www.aqueductpress.com>. This trade paperback contains the Sturgeon-finalist "Dance at the Edge," the Tiptree-shortlisted "Apprenticeship of Isabetta di Pietro Cavazzi," & three new stories: "The Gift," "Lord Enoch's Revels," & the long novella, "The Heloise Archive."

Samuel R. Delany says of Love's Body, Dancing in Time:

"This handful of SF tales demonstrates superbly what the genre can really do. Rich with social resonance, these stories elicit the thrill of ideas struggling to manifest as pure drama. Duchamp writes some of the most rewarding science fiction stories you can read today; she is simply and unarguably among the best."

Timmi Duchamp

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:28 pm:   

I've just seen the first review of the book, which is scheduled to appear in the March 1 issue of Booklist as a starred title. It's fairly long, so I won't paste all of it in here (though I expect it will soon be up on the Aqueduct Press web site). Here are its concluding sentences:

"Each tale is a polished gem, reflecting human nature in all its goodness and ugliness, and inviting deeper inspection of cherished belief systems and re-exploration of the big questions of relationships with ourselves, others, and God. Supremely intelligent and confident, Duchamp infuses her consistently sensual prose with mystery and beauty. Moreover, it is unpredictable—so emotionally and conceptually multifaceted that there is no fast track through one of her stories."

Josh Lukin
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:46 pm:   

Ya gotta hate those stories with no fast track through them. Jonathan Franzen thinks stories that demand too much time, attention, and mental labor are disrespectful to the reader.

Okay, reflex flipness aside: Mazel Tov, LTD! Also Yay.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 08:14 am:   

What Josh said. The non-flip part, I mean.

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 01:52 pm:   

Those interested in purchasing Love's Body, Dancing in Time from Aqueduct Press can now do so using PayPal (as well as by mail order with payment by check).

Timmi

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:09 am:   

It's a really fine collection, Timmi. I'll comment in more detail when I'm not feeling quite so pressed by my things to do list, but I thought I should let you know how much I enjoyed reading it.
Nancy

JeffV
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:59 am:   

Nancy--why don't you have a messageboard here, by the way? Email me.
JeffV

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   

Thanks, Nancy. Needless to say, I'll be looking forward to hearing any comments you might have, when you've the time to make them.

I'd say more, but I'm sooooo tired. Eileen Gunn has gotten me hooked on Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles, & I've been cheating sleep (which I never get enough of anyway) to read them. Addictions demand to be fed, regardless of whether one can afford to do so. & I really don't have time to be reading novels right now, much less long & intricate historical intrigues like these.

& to think I thought I was too old (& jaded) to fall into this particular form of insanity...

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:56 pm:   

The first story in Love's Body, "Dance at the Edge," has been posted at Fantastic Metropolis.

Timmi

L. Timmel Duchamp
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 01:35 pm:   

Alan DeNiro has interesting things to say in his engaged and thoughtful review of Love's Body, Dancing in Time, which has been posted at
<http://www.themodernword.com/sideshow/duchamp.html>.

Timmi

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 01:52 pm:   

I was glad to see both Love's Body and one of the stories ("The Heloise Archive") on the Locus Recommended Reading List.

Nancy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration