Call for submissions: YBFH#20 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Datlow, Ellen » Call for submissions: YBFH#20 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 09:22 am:   

January 2006

I co-edit the World Fantasy Award winning anthology series The Yearís Best Fantasy and Horror (St. Martin's Press) with Kelly Link & Gavin Grant. We are now reading for the 20th volume, which will include all material published in the year 2006.
I am looking for stories from all branches of horror: from the traditional-supernatural to the borderline, including high-tech science fiction horror, psychological horror, or anything else that might qualify. If in doubt, send it. This is a reprint anthology so I am only reading material published in or about to be published during the year 2006. Submission deadline for stories is December 15th 2006. Anything sent after this deadline will reach me too late. If a magazine, anthology, or collection youíre in or you edit is coming out by December 31st 2006 you can send me galleys or manuscripts so that I can judge the stories in time. No email submissions. I strongly suggest that authors check with their publishers that they are sending review copies out to me as I donít have time or energy to nag publishers to get me material. I request it once (maybe twice) and thatís it.

There are summations of "the year in horror," and "the year in fantasy" in the front of each volume. These include novels we've read and liked, nonfiction, art books, and in my section, "odds and ends"-- material that doesn't fit anywhere else but that I feel might interest the horror reader. But I have to be aware of this material in order to mention it. The deadline for this section is January 30th, 2006.
When sending me material please put YEAR'S BEST HORROR on the envelope.
Ellen Datlow
PMB 391
511 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10011-8436

Kelly Link & Gavin Grant
176 Prospect Avenue
Northampton, MA 01060

Kelly & Gavin cover fantasy and I cover horror. If you consider something both, send a copy to each of us. We do not confer on our choices.

****I do not want to receive manuscripts from authors of stories from venues that itís likely I already receive regularly (like Interzone, The Third Alternative, Cemetery Dance, Subterranean, Postscripts, Weird Tales, F&SF, etc) or from anthologies and collections, unless I don't have or canít get that anthology or collection. And please do not send a SASE. If I choose a story you will be informed. If you want to confirm that IĎve received something, enclose a self-addressed-stamped postcard and I will let you know the date it arrived. For stories that appear on the web, please send me (or have the publisher send me) print-outs of your story.

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:14 am:   

I have a pdf of my novel THE HAWLER that was first published in 2005. I presume you wouldn't want a print-out of a whole novel (94,000 words) if you wanted to mention it in the Horror intro?
des

des
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:15 am:   

Sorry, Ellen, I see it is 2006 of which you speak. I suppose being published at the very end of 2005 (as The Hawler was) makes it slip into a no man's land?
des

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 10:25 am:   

Hi Des,
I rarely read novels at all. But in any case, I don't list self-published novels. Sorry.

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 11:03 am:   

Ellen: I'll have a story that bridges science fantasy and horror in Forbidden Planets, an anthology Pete Crowther is editing for DAW that's due out in 2006. Are you likely to see it, or should I send you a copy?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   

Hi Matt,
When the book comes out remind me--do you know if a lot of the stories in the book are dark? If I get the actual book then it would be helpful to know which are the dark stories--although I can get Pete to let me know...

I didn't get any DAW anthos in 2005, although I'm still hoping to see the darker ones.

I guess what I'm saying is check back with me later in the year. I'm still reading for '05 :-0

Matt Hughes
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:29 pm:   

Ellen:

I can't say about the others, but the antho is to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the movie Forbidden Planet, which was about monsters from the subconscious, so you never know.

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   

It sounds really cool. I'll bet most of it's dark then...I just spoke to someone who says she was told to send me all the 05 anthos (a bit late). Hopefully, they'll get me the 06 anthos in a more timely manner. Who's the editor?

jack skillingstead
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 04:56 pm:   

My story in the February Asimov's has been described by various reviewers as borderline horror. Probably you already receive the magazine...

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   

I haven't begun reading for 2006 yet, but I always skim ASF so I should see it.

Pamela K. Kinney
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 08:36 am:   

I have a chapbook of four ghost stories, Beyond Four Walls coming out by Naked Snake Press in April. Can I submit that to you (a copy of the chapbook) by mail, when it comes out? Thank you.
Pamela K. Kinney

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:52 pm:   

Sure. Or you can ask the publisher to send it--they often send me material.

Steven Marshall
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   

Hi Ellen!
I have a horror story, 'The Thirteen Step', published in the January '06 edition of Simulacrum magazine. The story scored third place in the annual specficworld.com fiction contest.
Do you read Simulacrum or should I ask the editor to send you a copy?

Ellen Datlow
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:32 pm:   

Hi Steven,
Please ask the editor to send me any horror stories in the issue.
Thanks.

Steven Marshall
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 07:47 am:   

Will do, Ellen.
Thanks very much for such a prompt reply.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register