Anthology: Eidolon - Opening reading ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration
Night Shade Message Boards » Strahan, Jonathan » Anthology: Eidolon - Opening reading period « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonathan Strahan
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 03:46 pm:   

eidolon

Eidolon Books
P.O. Box 225
North Perth WA 6906
submissions@eidolonbooks.com

Eidolon Books announces an open reading period for EIDOLON, the first volume in a new original anthology series. The publisher and editors are committed to finding outstanding fiction from new and established writers. Our first and only priority is to find great stories. We're not concerned whether the stories we receive are science fiction, fantasy, or horror; whether they are aimed at the heart of the genre, or its outermost reaches. The only thing we ask is that they have a genre sensibility, strong literary values, compelling characters, engaging tone and definitive voice.

We will accept submissions by e-mail only at submissions@eidolonbooks.com from May 1st, 2005 through June 1st, 2005, and the book will be published in November to coincide with World Fantasy Convention 2005, to be held in Wisconsin in early November. Manuscripts received after the designated submission period, and manuscripts received by post, will be discarded unopened.

Please follow standard manuscript formatting and submission conventions, especially including no simultaneous or multiple submissions. Word count is open, but our preferred range is 2,500-7,500 words, with an upper limit of 10,000 words. If you are unfamiliar with standard manuscript formatting, please see the various essays and references under the heading "Manuscript Preparation" at http://www.sfwa.org/writing/.

Some specifics based on prior experience.

1) No reprints. Not even if prior publication had limited or private distribution.

2) Please use normal manuscript headers. Manuscripts without full author identification and contact information on the first page of the story will be rejected unread. This does not mean use a cover sheet, this means put your name and address in the upper left hand corner and the word count in the upper right hand corner, on the same page as the title and the first paragraph of the story. It also helps to put "by Your Name" under the title, just in case.

3) Do not include copyrighted material in your story. Manuscripts which feature quotations from popular music or published authors will be rejected unread.

4) No multiple submissions. One story per author, please.

5) By the same token, no simultaneous submissions. We won't hold your story for an unreasonable length of time, please allow us the privilege of being able to buy it.

It is our intention to respond to all submissions by the end of July 2005. "We pay an advance of AU$50.00 per story against a pro-rata share of AU$50 plus 50% of the anthologists' earnings from the book, for First Print and Non-Exclusive World Electronic Anthology Rights, along with two author's copies, on publication."

These guidelines may be redistributed freely in their entirety.

Jonathan Strahan & Jeremy G. Byrne
Editors

Jay Caselberg
Posted on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 02:42 pm:   

Jonathan, cool. I must see what I can send.

Jonathan
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 04:41 pm:   

I should add that the book will appear in two editions: as a trade paperback in Australia from Eidolon Books, and as a hardcover in the US from Prime Books. Also, if you have any problems with the submission address, please feel free to email me directly at jstrahan at iinet dot net dot au.

Nancy Jane Moore
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   

The Eidolon address keeps bouncing submissions. Can you let us know when it will be working or give us another address? Thanks. (I sent you a direct email, but I figure it might be easier to answer here.)

Nancy

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   

Nancy - Apologies for that. For the time being, all submissions should be sent directly to:

jstrahan at iinet dot net dot au

Jonathan

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:26 am:   

I hope sending these submissions to your direct address is still acceptable, Jonathan. I sent one today.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 02:41 pm:   

Hey Bob. It's cool. We're about to close the open submission period (doesn't affect solicited stuff), and whatever email address works is good. Got the story safely, btw, for which many thanks.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:11 pm:   

well, the open reading period for eidolon is almost over - it ends tomorrow, wednesday 1 june - and we've received something like seventy five submissions (in addition to the ones we've solicited). we're slowly working our way through them, and should start sending out responses over the next week or so.

i should add that, while the open reading period closes on 1 june, this doesn't impact on arrangements we've made for stories we've solicited for the book.

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 06:48 am:   

Thanks so much for the confirmation, Jonathan. I appreciate it.

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:23 pm:   

The open reading period is closed. Just a quick reminder that this does not apply to anyone who was solicited directly. Thanks - J

Anonymous
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   

So -- when will the acceptances and rejections start going out?

Anotheronymous
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 04:05 pm:   

"... It is our intention to respond to all submissions by the end of July 2005... "

RTFM, as the saying goes.

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 05:20 pm:   

We are reading as fast as we can. We received over a hundred submissions during the open submissions period, and are doing everything we can to get back to everyone by the end of July (if not sooner). Some responses have already gone out, including a couple acceptances, and the book is shaping up pretty well. And, as always, we appreciate everyone's patience. We'd rather do this much more quickly, but it just tends to be a slow process.

Hey-Nonny-Nonny-Nonynmous
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 06:25 pm:   

Sorry! I was going by the posting of May 30th that said "should start sending out responses over the next week or so," which ran counter to the FM ...

Back to lurk mode now ...

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:32 am:   

Jonathan, this is excellent feedback on the progress with the anthology. Much appreciated by all I reckon. It would be great to see more Aussie editors adopting such an open and proactive approach. (Of course, you are not just an Aussie editor). ASIM, of course, has a good model in place, but putting yourself out here for direct discussion is quite exceptional. I noticed that Deborah did the same thing with Polyphony and you can only have bucketloads of respect for editors who take such an approach.

Bob Urell
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:56 am:   

Hi Jonathan,
I expect things got in the way, but I thought I'd ask. Is it a good thing if we haven't heard back on our submissions for Eidolon yet?

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:16 pm:   

Hi Geoff - Don't know how I missed your post. I don't check here often enough. The book is coming together, though much more slowly than I'd thought. I still think we'll make the deadline, but it'll be close. I had a number of reasons for doing this book, and one was to re-connect with the Australian scene. I've been very much off the radar here, so it's good to be getting back in touch - Jonathan

Jonathan
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 04:17 pm:   

Hi Bob - Unfortunatley the only think anyone can take away from our appalling lack of response is that we've had various other difficulties getting in the way. I just had contact this morning from Jeremy, who's now on a farm somewhere, and things should flow very shortly. - J

Bob Urell
Posted on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:58 am:   

Ah. Good enough for me. Thanks!

Jonathan
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   

Hi all

As usual, Eidolon Central moves slowly. Reading is finished and almost everyone should have received responses to their submissions by now. A few may trickle out this weekend, but we're largely done. We have seventeen terrific stories, a wonderful cover, and promises of a great intro, so we should be on for World Fantasy. I'll post the full ToC here just as soon as I know everyone has received their story responses. If all goes to plan, announcement of reading periods etc for Eidolon II will follow shortly as well.

Jonathan

Jonathan
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 03:10 pm:   

The contents of Eidolon I, the first in a new series of original genre fiction anthologies, will include the following sixteen stories:

* Tim Pratt's "The Third-Quarter King"
* Hal Duncan's "The Angel of Gamblers"
* Lucy Sussex's "The Revenant"
* Holly Phillips' "Gin"
* Margo Lanagan's "A Fine Magic"
* Carol Ryles' "The Bride"
* Grace Dugan's "The Conqueror"
* Kim Westwood's "Cassandra’s Hands"
* Jeff VanderMeer's "The Secret Life of Shane Hamill"
* Deborah Roggie's "Thievery"
* William Eakin's "Trimalchio’s Chamber Pot"
* Eleanor Arnason's "Big Green Mama Falls in Love"
* Elizabeth Bear's "Gone to Flowers"
* Chris Lawson's "Hieronymus Boche"
* Deborah Biancotti's "The Dying Light"
* Simon Brown's "Leviathan"

(Note that the list above should be considered preliminary, and may undergo additions and/or title changes prior to publication.)

The cover will be based on Shaun Tan's "Our Tuesday Afternoon Reading Group", and the book will be available for sale in November 2005. For more information, go to www.eidolonbooks.com

AT
Posted on Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 07:37 pm:   

What a lineup! And that cover is so good, I'd want the book even if it didn't have this content.

kellys
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:38 am:   

Thank you Jonathan! Finally a fantasy collection to get excited about this year. Will it be sold at WFC?

Ben Payne
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   

Looks very cool, Jonathan. Lots of great authors in there!

Jonathan
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:21 pm:   

Hi Anna, Kelly and Ben: Thanks for the kind words about Eidolon I. We're pretty happy with the way it's worked out so far. If everything goes to plan, it'll be on sale at WFC, so keep an eye out for it at the Prime table. - J

kellys
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:24 pm:   

Thanks Jonathan. Hope to come away from Madison with a copy hot off the presses.

Geoffrey Maloney
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:14 am:   

Hi Jonathan, apparently you have exceeded your bandwith at www.eidolonbooks.com. Well, at least that's the message I got. Nice to be popular, eh?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration