GRIM JACK. Best. Comic. Ever. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

HOME | CATALOG | DOWNLOADS | LINKS | EDITORIALS | DISCUSSION | CONTACT

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register
Night Shade Message Boards » Electric Velocipede » GRIM JACK. Best. Comic. Ever. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Klima
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 06:05 am:   

From the man John Ostrander himself:

"The legal questions about Grimjack are all resolved. We are now working the deal to bring back GrimJack to comics, both with TPBs of the original material and a new miniseries by Tim Truman and myself."

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/ostrander/?read=2644

If you've missed GRIM JACK, you have no idea what a treat this will be to get these stories back in print. If you liked Richard Morgan's ALTERED CARBON, you absolutely HAVE to read this comic. The last issue came out in 1991, and John and Tim Truman (you may know his art from Lansdale's JONAH HEX) have been fighting to get the rights to the character ever since.

John's is extremely excited, and all of you should be too. I will post more here once more information is available.

JK

Mastadge
Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:20 am:   

Yes, I am very excited about this. GRIMJACK's been in legal hell for years.

Also recommended are Ostrander's current Star Wars stories.

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:16 am:   

OK, it looks like GRIMJACK officially has a publisher: IDW. We should start seeing trade paperbacks (starting with the Starslayer back-up stories) any time now.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/5029.html

JK

PS: Here's what Mr. Ostrander had to say about it on his message board:

: Jeff beat me to it just by a little bit but today the PR release went out that IDW has signed to do GrimJack. They're on for doing TPBs of the old material as well as a new 6 issue miniseries (to start). Tim is doing the art, I'm doing the story, John Workman (the original letterer) is doing the letters and Gold is the editor. The first TPB will republish all the back-ups that appeared in STARSLAYER as well as the Starslayer/GJ crossover. In addition, there will be an 8 page framing story of NEW material in that first TPB plus, no doubt, some other goodies. The plan is to eventually republish ALL the Grimjack material as exists; sales will let us know if that's feasible plus, if you buy the first miniseries, there will be others. We'll be talking about MUNDEN'S BAR and doing a TPB of that and maybe a new anthology but that's not set in stone. i'm just telling you before you start asking. We have lots of other GrimJack plans as well; as they develop and firm up, I'll let you know. i'm not CERTAIN about the publishing schedule yet but it's all being worked on RIGHT NOW. BTW, Tim's already done the art for the new 8 pager. It's KILLER. Like coming home, folks.

BELIEVE me, I'll let you know when these puppies go on sale. Then we'll all head over to Munden's. You can tell Gordon the first round's on me.

-- John

PS Make a noise all over creation, folks. Let EVERYBODY know this is a good thing. We're going to do all the PR we can but the GJ fans are the BEST sales force out there. Let your retailer know. Get them to order well. Tell your friends. Tell your mama. tell your Pa. Tell everybody! Yeah!

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:18 am:   

In case you have no idea what GRIMJACK is and whether you should bother, when I first read ALTERED CARBON, I was certain that Richard Morgan must have read these comics. The whole gritty feel of ALTERED CARBON permeates the world of GRIMJACK. When I asked Richard, I was shocked to hear he had never read them.

If you liked Richard's books, you have to read GRIMJACK.

JK

GeneLass
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:05 am:   

Have Ostrander or Truman ever commented on how the 1990s Marvel series Ravage 2099 (started by none other than Stan Lee) was initially a blatant rip-off of Grim Jack?

John Klima
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:09 am:   

Not that I know of. (good to see you here!) John's message board is here:

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/ostrander/?noframes;#808

so you could ask him. He's very good about writing on the board. He's even good about responding to e-mail, so you could contact him directly.

Yeah, I remember Ravage 2099, it had a very Grim Jack looking guy with long red hair....

JK

PS--that ;#808 is not linking up to the rest of the link, but you can still get to John's board without it.

Forrest
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   

Suh-weet. Grimjack and Albedo Anthropomorphic are the only comics I still collect. I'd love to see the Demon Wars min-series-within-a-series redone as a graphic novel! This is all very good news.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:15 am:   

Cool article on what Grim Jack meant to comics. Very good primer for people who want to learn some more about this series:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=5397&si=122

JK

Gene Lass
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:51 am:   

So check out the site above for an image of Grim Jack, then check out the site below to see Ravage.

http://www.coverprice.com/ravage2099.html

Tell me that's not a swipe. Hm. Long red hair, scar on one eye. Green cloak. Gun. Post-apocalyptic/futuristic society. Gritty hard-boiled anti-hero. I think he even used a sword at one point. I picked up the first issue, then glanced at every issue from then on looking for a nod toward the Grim Jack creators, or a letter from fans noting the resemblance. They eventually changed the concept of the book and changed Ravage's look, but for a while, it was almost as much of a swipe as Rob Liefeld's so-called "Fighting American" work after he got fired from Captain American. Okay, nothing is as much of a blatant or distasteful swipe as that, but it was still obvious.

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:43 am:   

Here you go Big Gene, I put the query to the board this morning, and here's a response from John Ostrander:

The visual sure was, down to rip-offs of some of tim's covers. I complained and eventually the look of the character was changed. -- John

So, your suspicions were correct.

JK

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:53 am:   

And another comment from John:

I think it was more the artist doing "homage" to a character he egenuinely liked. i very much doubt that Stan lee ever HEARD of GrimJack. I'm not entirely certain that he knows who Wolverine is.<g> And it's possible the editor wasn't aware of it, either. Marvel could be a little insulated back then. -- John

JK

Gene Lass
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:45 am:   

That does confirm it for me. I never thought Stan had a clue who Grim Jack was. I'm pretty sure he's been out of the loop since 1980 or so. He can probably recognize Wolverine, since so much money is made from him, and I believe Wolverine was introduced when Stan was Publisher, but I don't think he could answer a lot of questions on Marvel plots or characters from the mid to late 80s on. And who would expect him to? The man is ancient and he created enough stuff on his own.

But yeah, I suspected Ravage was an artist's tribute, or a swipe that took place on some editorial level, then they tossed it to Stan to give him something to do and show he could be gritty.

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:48 am:   

New interview with John Ostrander and Tim Truman about Grim Jack from Alex Ness:

http://www.popthought.com/display_column.asp?DAID=331

Check out John's 'brief' intro to Grim Jack:

"Gaunt was born in a section of Cynosure called THE PIT. As a boy he was sent to fight in the ARENA. That's where he grew up, fighting gladiator battles, until he eventually won his freedom. So Gaunt knows how to fight, how to win, and how to survive.

"Soon after he won his freedom, Grimjack fought in the DEMON WARS when Hell came into phase with Cynosure. During the Demon Wars he found and lost the great love of his life, a gentle, spiritual lady named RHIAN. She died tragically, and her death still haunts him. Embittered, he fell in with a group of cutthroat, time-travelling bounty hunters called the LAWKILLERS. This was another very dark period of his life.

"Eventually he broke away from the Lawkillers and joined the TDP-- the TransDimensional Police-- Cynosure's police force-- but managed to get himself fired for conduct unbecoming. Gaunt wound up with a group called CADRE-- the equivalent of the CIA in Cynosure. finally, he left CADRE and went into business for himself, operating out of a bar on the lip of the Pit called MUNDEN'S."

The thing is, all that happens BEFORE the series starts. So there's all this backstory (some of which has been explored, some has not) to Grim Jack before you even turn the page. He's not some kid with no life experience; he's lived lifetimes and you'll have to read on to learn what happened.

I am so excited for this story to be in print again. Even though I have all the originals (the only comics I kept when I moved out east seven years ago; whittled down 10 or 15 boxes to a half box) I still plan on buying the new collections.

JK

Rajan Khanna
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:45 pm:   

Always good to see another Grimjack fan. It's definitely the best comic that I've ever read and I'm absolutely thrilled that it's returning. I've been waiting for 13 years for this.

bluejack
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   

Oh wow. I don't know if I would say *best* ... but I always did love Grimjack ... indeed, he is partial inspiration for my nickname. I loved the ciggy smoking lizard at Munden's too. Were the old comic books ever made into graphic novels? Or is that what they are going to start releasing? I'd love to get my hands on some of that stuff.

And am very excited about a new series. Wow!

John Klima
Posted on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:55 am:   

Yeah Bluejack, they're going to start reprinting the original series in trade paperbacks, with some additional new material. Then they'll start working on completely new story lines. It's Ostrander and Tim Truman, the original team that brought this to us.

And I realize that a lot of people wouldn't say *best*, but it's my favorite and I will blindly say *best* to the end of my days. :-)

JK

Rajan Khanna
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 09:29 am:   

There is some cover art and some sample pages from the new series here:

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=54ba90a009e89f53f0ccbf13d2ac3693&th readid=18684

I'm very excited about this...

John Klima
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 11:19 am:   

Me too. I can't wait to see new material for Grim Jack. I've been waiting for more than a decade.

JK

CA McGee
Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 12:52 am:   

I'm a huge fan of the GrimJack series, too -- particularly the early Truman/Ostrander issues (I even have issue#1 signed by J.O.). Back in my collecting days, I always loved the combination of magic and technology, and the setting that they developed in the series seemed to be one of the best.

I haven't bought any comics in about eight years, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new stuff.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Log Out | Edit Profile | Register